Monday, December 31, 2007

7 Random Things About Myself

I was tagged by Irene at Our Little Piece of the World to tell 7 random things about myself. At first I didn't think I could even think of 7 interesting things to tell, so here are 7 maybe not so interesting things about myself:

  1. My favorite food is ice cream. That's how I found My Ice Cream Diary. We have a lot in common with that! I don't just love the common flavors like chocolate or vanilla. I love banana, peppermint stick, chocolate panda paws, and superman. I've cut down over the past year when I realized I couldn't live one day without it. I love it SO much that I even have recurrent dreams about finding a new ice cream shop in town. The last time was just last week when I found a new one in the mall, with hard ice cream.
  2. I cry very easily. I've been getting better about controlling it, though. I can cry when my kids upset me, when they do well at one of their games, or even at a sad commercial. I have to hold back at movies ALL the time.
  3. My favorite TV shows, I guess I will admit to some of them. I love The Bachelor! I'm surprised it keeps coming back each season. It's actually a pretty dumb show, but I can't seem to get enough of it. I love "getting to know" the new bachelor and trying to pick who he will pick. After the show ends I'm always surprised they broke up even though it always ends that way. I love a lot of the reality shows, like Survivor, and the Amazing Race.
  4. I love kid movies, not little kid movies, but older kid movies. When my kids ask me to watch a movie with them, they don't have to twist very hard. When I was in high school, my favorite movie was Sixteen Candles. I watch it so many times that I actually memorised every single word to it, "I love the bus!".
  5. Sometimes I can be very unsure of myself. I worry that someone doesn't like me or is mad at me when I shouldn't. I second guess myself all the time. Am I spending enough time with the kids? Should I read more to them? Should I take them more places? Sometimes I think I'm doing a good job, but then I second guess that, too.
  6. I won't let my kids move away from me! When I lived at home my mom never wanted me to go away to college or move out of town. She use to say, "Why did I have kids I'm just going to have them until they're 18 and never see them again! What a waste!". I was afraid to challenge her on that. I thought she'd never speak to me again if I did. I ended up living at home and going to a nearby college, and now I live two minutes down the road from her. Now, at 37, I completely agree! I talk to my mom every day. I see her all the time. She babysits when I need her. She'll run the kids homework over to their school when they forget it. She comes over to take care of the kids when I'm sick and my husband is at work. She picks things up for me at the store when she goes. We help her out, too. My husband goes over to help carry things out of the house, or to fix something. He appreciates living close to them, too. This is how I want to live when my kids grow up. My husband's mom moved only one minute away from us. His brother lives across the country, and my sister, the one who tagged me, was the rebel. She lived at home for college, but moved away the first chance she could after college. She still lives out of town, though only 1 hour away now, and guess what? My mom still talks to her.
  7. This goes hand in hand with number 6. I'm turning into my mom! Just ask my sister, or my husband, or especially my brother in law. I don't want my kids to ever move out of town. I read mostly nonfiction now, other than Harry Potter and John Grisham books, of course. I'm a tree hugger (not literally). I love to cook. I always have her words of advice in my head, "Never give up on your kids until the day you die." My husband just told me that my sister said I'm my mom, talking through my body. Is that a good thing? I'm not just my mom in only the positive ways. I'm taking after her body. I gain my weight in my middle. Sometimes, when I get really mad about something, I'll pound my fist down on the table, "Don't you ever do that again!". Mom, where did you come from?

Well that was my seven random facts about me. Wow, easier than I thought! I'm suppose to tag 7 people to do this, but I don't know if there are 7 who haven't done this lately. I think I'll tag My Ice Cream Diary, Magirk, Leslie, Wonderful World of Wieners, and Life According to Lizzy. I know, only 5 people, but if anyone else wants to do this, then you're tagged, too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sixteen Candles is still one of my favs. Yes, I still have the movie script memorized. I can see your mother in you, but you are more progressive than her. You are more interactive with your kids where your mother is old school. I didn't know you were a "tree hugger". Good thing to be! You know that is what our parents were like, waste not want not, before it became populer.

Ally said...

Great list! I personally love bubblegum and mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Thanks for tagging me. :-) I'll see if I can come up with a list soon.

Kitty said...

These memes are much harder to do than I first thought - I found your answers really interesting.

With good wishes for you and your family - Happy New Year! x

dawn klinge said...

What a great list of things about you. I hope my kids are as close to me when they're grown as the relationship you describe with your mom- unfortunately my mom and I aren't that close but I wish we were.

Kellan said...

I'm turning into my mom too and I don't want my kids moving away from me either - I don't know what I will do if that ever happens.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year and hope to see you often in 2008. Kellan

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hey, Maria!

Happy New Year to you and your family! Your 7 random facts were very interesting! I share your love of ice cream, yum! (It is one of the four food groups, isn't it?) :)

Thanks for tagging me! I'm not sure if I'll have it done today, probably by tomorrow. Take care and talk to you again soon! Lizzy

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I'm visiting from Lisa's blog...What fun and color you give to your blog. What a delightful sense of humor you have...As a mother of 5 and all grown and gone...I wish you luck with #6. They can move very far away...but in my case we get to visit some very lovely places...Happy New Year to you!!! Cathy

Anonymous said...

Peppermint stick ice cream is one of my all time favorites!

Ice Cream said...

I am SO my mom, too. Thanks for the tag, and for the sweet mention in #1. I will try to post mine tomorrow.

Amy said...

"Why did I have kids I'm just going to have them until they're 18 and never see them again! What a waste"

I am adopting this as my motto. My mom's motto was exactly opposite. She would say "I am raising you to leave my house and start your own life." She succeeded. All of us kids live 600 miles or more away from her. She is very lonely.