Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas cookies

Here's another one of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes. Not only is there lemon in it, but there's a little orange, too. It makes them super yummy. This is my 11 year old's favorite. He just reminded me about making them. I forgot all about them. I got the recipe from Margaret Peterson in the Taste of Home magazine. If you've never read it, it has lots of really delicious country style recipes. I think I've tried recipes from every single issue that I own!


Shortbread Lemon Bars

1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3/4 cup cold butter

FILLING
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
1 teaspoon baking powder

TOPPING
2 cups sour cream
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

In food processor, combine flour, confectioners' sugar, and lemon and orange peel. Cut in butter until crumble. Process until mixture forms a ball. Pat into a greased 13x9 baking pan. Bake at 350' for 12-14 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned.

Combine filling ingredients. Pour over hot crust. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until set.

Combine topping ingredients. Spread over filling. Bake 7-9 minutes or until topping is set.

Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight. Cut into bars. Makes 3 dozen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you know I like lemon bar cookies??? I'll bring the coffee...meet you in 20 minutes!

They look so yummy...I'll add this to my cookie-makin' list! Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

These really look so good. I used to have a subscription to Taste of Home. I really need to renew it. They had some wonderful recipes in there. Thank you for sharing!

Kitty said...

Mmmmmm, they look delicious. No.1 offspring has a 'thing' for anything lemony, so I might give those a go.

Oh and thank you so much for taking the time and trouble over the wii thing. :-) x

Becky said...

MMMMmmmmmmmmm. Those sound yummilicious!

With hot tea.

Snuggled up in front of the fireplace. Oh, wait, our new house doesn't have one. Bummer.

suchsimplepleasures said...

i'm coming to live with you! i promise to go to sleep when you tell me to...as long as you bake...lots and lots of stuff...and,i'll never,ever complain about the food...only if it's chocolate or peanut butter...i don't like those!
sounds so yummy!

Maria said...

Ooops! I made a mistake on my recipe! I just changed it. It's suppose to be 2 cups of SUGAR not lemon juice. Ooh, that would be pretty sour.