Sunday, March 16, 2008

Haircuts

When I first married my husband, he only had a few haircuts at the barber before he started to ask me to cut his hair. At first I didn't want to. I didn't know how. He said he didn't care. "Just cut it shorter." I purchased a pair of cheap hair scissors at the grocery store and have cut his hair ever since! His hair is really short, and not to mention not very much there anymore, so you'd never guess it was done by me.

When I had kids, I cut their hair when they were little. My 14-year old only had her first real haircut just last year when she wanted to get layers. I really didn't want to try that.

Last summer my 11-year old wanted to grow out his short hair. His hair grows really fast and I didn't cut it for the end of 5th grade and the whole summer. At the end of the summer he got his first real haircut. After all, he was going to be a big 6th grader in the big middle school! I couldn't cut his hair after that because I don't know how to do anything stylish. Well tonight I decided he needed a little trim, and I didn't want to spend any money, so I gave him a haircut. I think it came out pretty good! I'm proud of myself! I even changed it a little. I parted it on the side. I don't know if I can keep this up with him without ruining it completely, but boy am I saving money doing this. Haircuts for six people would really add up fast! By the way, he liked it, too.




That's my 7-year old looking up at his "cool" big brother. I gave him a haircut tonight, too, but it's nothing very exciting.

22 comments:

Karen said...

Great job! I've been taught by a professional but still cannot master the scissors. The boys don't like the clipper cut anymore so I end up going elsewhere.

dawn klinge said...

His hair looks great! I have a pair of clippers that I keep thinking I should just try to use with my son but I'm scared to mess it up. It would be a good savings.

Kila said...

He's in style! Good job.

Amy said...

You are braver with scissors than I could every be!

Kitty said...

My son refuses to let anyone but me cut his hair - so I've had to learn! I trim my daughter's but she goes to the hairdresser maybe twice a year to have a proper cut.

Home hairdressing is fabulous! x

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It is expensive. I don't want to confess how much I spend on my own hair--one of you may run into my husband some day.

I take the kids to a beauty school though. They take a while, but the price is good and they really listen to what the kids want and are very eager to please.

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'm impressed! My hubby would never let me cut his hair...

OHmommy said...

Your younger son's expression is awesome. He is sooo in love. It is wonderful, heart melting, and beautiful!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Yes, I hate wasting money on haircuts! If you have boys, a 20-dollar set of clippers is great for keeping the sides and back neat. Then I just guess on the rest with some scissors.

Amy said...

Wow! Awesome Job Maria..I have tried to much disaster, so I will say that I have stepped away from the scissors..LOL

Debbie @ Three Weddings said...

It looks great! I may mess with the girl's hair, but I've always been glad I didn't have boys because I didn't think I'd be able to cut it.

Tammy said...

The haircut is very nice. And the photo is PRICELESS. Just look at the admiration in your younger son's eyes.....just great!

Leah said...

I think I'll start trimming Emily's hair myself. Seems silly to pay someone $12.95 plus a tip just to wet her ends and cut them straight across the back. I'm positive I can do THAT much. If we get too busy, or too lazy, or have an extra tight money month, and the boys are in needs of trims, I'm brave enough to do bangs, around the ears, and along the neck line to clean them up a bit and buy myself some time between barber visist, but I don't DARE try to mess with them beyond that. Last time, though, CJ's bangs got too short and he looked like Friar Tuck!!! LOL

I think it's great you're good enough to do that on your own! DEFINATELY a money saver!!

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hey, nice job! You do good work! I haven't picked up a pair of scissors since the time I decided to give myself bangs, they turned out like one inch long, I looked like frankenstein for months! Ugh!

Lizzy

Melissa said...

I have cut girls hair for a while now, but sometimes boys hair is waaaay harder. I messed up my husband's hair several times, but now I think I finally have it down

Becky said...

Good job, mom! That is one cool haircut.

Maria (also Bia) said...

Another similarity between our families!! After realizing the time and money that was spent in getting our boys a haircut, we started cutting their hair at home. My husband purchased one of those razors that vacuums the hair as it cuts, and it is wonderful!

You did a great job on your sons' hair!

Burgh Baby said...

Good job!

kimmy said...

Great job! You are hired! I won't even trim my daughter's bangs!

Kimmy

Shellie said...

It looks great. You should see if you can get someone to teach you more advanced stuff, you've got the knack!

Daisy said...

It's wonderful that he trusts you to handle his hair, even at this vulnerable age. He looks great!

Tina said...

I'd say that's stylish, great job! :)